The best acne concealers don’t just hide a blemish – they won’t cause acne, and some of them can even help heal it. Here are some of our tried and tested concealers for pimples (yes, even the red, inflamed ones!)
What should you look for in acne concealers?
- Non-irritating. If you’re using prescription acne creams or going through acne treatments like lasers, you need to be extra-vigilant about picking concealer and foundation. Avoid anything with fragrance, alcohol, and parabens.
- Non-comedogenic. High-coverage concealers will always be extra-creamy, but they shouldn’t clog your pores. Common clogging ingredients are: isopropyl myristate, sodium lauryl sulfate, myristyl myristate, and laureth-4.
- Oil-free. Because the last thing oily, acne-prone skin needs is more oil.
- Medicated. Look for ingredients like salicylic acid or sulfur that can unclog pores and fight inflammation.
- Sun protection. Many acne treatments and medicines contain ingredients (benzoyl peroxide, retinoids, docycline) which will make your skin more sensitive to the sun.
- Shade range. Like foundation, you need concealers that match your skin tone. Applying a very pale shade will actually call attention to your pimple – it should blend with the rest of your face.
Clinique Acne Solutions Clearing Concealer
This is one of the best acne concealers! It has salicylic acid, and comes in a green tint to help cover redness. Clinique is also known for rigorous dermatological testing and developing makeup that won’t irritate skin – so not only is it free of fragrances and other nasty chemicals, you know it’s been tried, tested and proven safe.
Neutrogena Skin Clearing Blemish Concealer
This budget-friendly concealer uses a special micro-clear technology that helps dissolve oil and deliver salicylic acid deep into your pores. Yes, it’s the same tech in their facial wash – so your concealer becomes part of your acne skincare routine.
Almay Clear Complexion Concealer
This medicated concealer has maximum-strength salicylic acid to help clear out pores and calm your skin. It’s hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic and fragrance free. The only downside is that the limited shade range only forks for light to medium skin.
Murad Acne Treatment Concealer
This is packed with salicylic acid to help fight pimples and help fade acne scars, and green tea extract to help soothe irritation. It won’t dry out your skin, either – a perfect concealer if your acne treatments have left your skin flaky and rough.
NYX Professional Makeup HD Photogenic Concealer Wand
This is a great concealer for skin that’s become dry and sensitive from pimple treatments. It hydrates the area so your makeup won’t look dry or cakey. The HD effect also helps your makeup look great even in photos. You can also get the green colour-corrector to counteract redness.
Isdinceutics Skin Drops
Yes, this concealer is expensive and hard to find (you can find it Singapore online stores for around $96) but it’s a high-coverage (it can even cover tattoos, scars and vitigo!), it’s medicated, and doctor-approved. In fact, dermatologists often recommend this for fragile, post-procedure skin. If you’ve got severe inflamed acne, then this can be worth the splurge.
Dermablend Quick Fix Concealer Stick SPF 30
This is a more budget-friendly alternative to Isdinceutics – about half the price, developed by dermatologist and a makeup artist (winning combo!), and also has very high coverage. It comes in 10 shades so you can find your perfect match. According to hundreds of five-star Amazon reviews, it is one of the best acne concealers they’ve ever tried.