Skin experts agree: the biggest sunscreen mistake that everyone makes is that we don’t apply enough. You need about half a teaspoon on your face, and an ounce (the equivalent of a shotglass) on your body. “Most people only apply 25 to 50% of the recommended amount,” says the American Academy of Dermatology. Even worse, we almost never reapply. You should boost your SPF levels every four hours if you’re indoors, and every two hours if you’re outdoors or sweating heavily.
But here’s the reality: it’s a hassle to reapply sunscreen on top of makeup. Cream sunscreens will smudge your eye makeup, and cause powder foundation to cake. So how do you get full sun protection and still look flawless? Here are some of the best sunscreen products you can use over makeup.
Dr. Ora Aura White Sun Spray
This is one of the most convenient sunscreens we’ve ever tried! The sun spray makes it so easy to reapply sunscreen anywhere and any time of the day.
- Strong sun protection. It is SPF 50, and provides broad spectrum protection against both UVA and UVB rays. It is also PA +++, which means it can slow down pigmentation caused by sun exposure.
- Blue light protection. Blue light — emitted by the sun, computer and phone screens, and fluorescent light — can penetrate deeper layers of the skin and cause early ageing. This sun spray deflects blue light to protect you from both your sun and your screens!
- Skin brightening ingredients. It’s sun protection and skincare in one! Its special mix of antioxidants — as well as powerful ingredients like gluthathione, niacinamide B3, alpha arbutin and Vitamin C – help fight dark spots, shrink pores, and reduce fine lines. That’s really important in a sunscreen, because sun exposure can make your skin look dull and blotchy. We love how this sun spray prevents the hyperpigmentation and helps to reverse any damage from being outdoors.
- Made with natural plant extracts. Harness the gentle but effective power of nature. This sun spray brings together over 100 antioxidants from different plants and flowers. Pomegranate extract fight ageing, while rice brain oil helps filter out UVA and UVB rays. Opuntia coccinellifera flower and centella asiatica also soothes redness, inflammation and irritation.
- Safe for all skin types. Do you have sensitive, oily or acne-prone skin? Don’t worry. This sun spray is hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, and oil-free. Even people who typically hate using sunscreen because it feels greasy or makes their face itchy will be able to use this often with out any complaints. This is sun protection that feels as light as air!
- Convenient. It won’t ruin your makeup, and even has a fresh cooling sensation. The burst of moisture can also help your makeup look dewier –just like your makeup finishing sprays or face mists, but with SPF!
With these benefits, Dr. Ora Aura White Sun Spray is one of the best sunscreens to use over makeup! Simply use the cushion puff to apply the sunscreen on the skin and even over the makeup which it gives you a more even and flawless finish ! Use and reapply frequently to protect your skin from the dangers of too much sun exposure – spray it on your face and neck, avoiding the eye area. Don’t forget to spray behind the ears, the back of the neck and the hands – these are the areas that people often forget to apply sunscreen, and are more likely to get sunburn and sun damage.
Get it now: Dr. Ora Aura White Sun Spray ($53 for 120ml) is available online at the official Dr. Ora website.
Tarte Tarteguard Mineral Powder Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30
This is a mineral powder sunscreen that you can apply over makeup. It’s vegan, oil-free, and does not contain sulfates, parabens, formaldehydes, triclosan or other potentially-irritating ingredients. The built-in brush makes it easy to touch up in the middle of the day. It also has rave Sephora reviews, with over 20,000 “loves” and a solid 4-star rating from 182 reviews. People said it “smelled like cake” and that it didn’t have a chalky finish. However, it does look better on people with fair skin. It only comes in one shade, and can look unnatural if you have darker skin tones or yellow undertones.
Get it now: Unfortunately, this isn’t carried in Singapore stores, so you’ll have to buy it from Amazon US, the Tarte Official Store (they ship to Singapore), or online resellers. It’s US$28, not including shipping fees.
Dr GL Sun Protection Mist
If you’re willing to splurge on sunscreen, try this face and body sun spray. It has a fine colorless mist that won’t disturb your makeup, feel heavy on oily skin, or cause face or body acne. You can wash it off with regular cleanser or body wash, too!
This contains Scutellaria Baicalensis Root and Paeonia Suffruticosa Root, which fight free radical damage and reduce redness. If you tend to turn beet-red when you’re under the sun too long, then this is a good choice. You can also use it on the hair and scalp (and many people forget that the scalp needs sun protection, too!)
Online reviews say that this has a matte finish and makes your skin feel velvety-smooth. However, it only has SPF 29 and PA ++, and most dermatologists recommend getting at least SPF 30. We’d only recommend this if you stay indoors, and are willing to reapply often.
Get it now: Dr. GL Sun Protection is available on Sephora Singapore for $88.
Wasser UV Mineral Powder Sunscreen
SET your makeup, control shine and get sun protection with this all-in-one powder sunscreen. It is SPF 30 and PA++, and made of 100% natural ingredients. It’s also made in Japan!
If you have very sensitive skin, this is one of the safest sunscreens to apply over makeup. It is a physical sunblock, meaning its minerals deflect UV rays instead of absorbing and neutralizing it. Dermatologists also say that physical sunblocks are less likely to aggravate cystic acne. It has no mineral oils, parabens, alcohol or fragrances.
It comes in three shades – White, Natural, and Natural Pearl. It comes in a pot, so you will need fluffy brush to apply.
Get it now: Wasser powder sunscreen is $69. Click here to find out more about where to get Wasser in Singapore.
3CE White Milk Cushion
Makeup with sun protection? Yes, please! This popular Korean foundation nourishes, hydrates and brightens dull skin while protecting it from UV rays. It has SPF 50, and has a very creamy formula that’s perfect for dry and sun-damaged skin.
We still recommend using sunscreen before applying this, since there’s no way you’d actually apply half a teaspoon of foundation on your face. However, the fact that your cushion foundation has SPF means that you’re boosting up your sun protection every time you retouch your makeup.
This foundation also gives a dewy, radiant finish. It’s perfect if you have dry or ageing skin, since mineral powders will only highlight any fine lines or roughness.
Get it now: 3CE White Milk Cushion is available on Sephora Singapore for $42.
Supergoop! Invincible Setting Powder SPF 45
This is one of the few sunscreen powders that has a decent shade range. It comes in Translucent, Light, Medium and Deep. (Deep is unfortunately unavailable in Sephora Singapore, but you can get it online).
This sunscreen was developed exactly for reapplying over makeup. It works just like a powder foundation, giving you a soft-focus and matte finish that helps hide fine lines and other imperfections. It won’t leave a white cast, so you’ll still look great in photos and under fluorescent lighting. It won’t clog your pores, too – so no breakouts, blackheads or whiteheads!
Sephora reviews love the brush: it’s very soft, and you can also detach and clean the brush, which makes it super hygienic. It also doesn’t oxidize, which is great if you have acidic or oily skin.
Get it now: Supergoop Invincible Setting Powder is $45 on Sephora Singapore.
Tips for applying sunscreen on makeup
- Don’t skip regular sunscreen. Spray or powder sunscreens don’t replace your regular sunscreens. Apply ½ teaspoon of a broad spectrum spectrum before applying makeup. Use other sun protection products on top – every layer of sun protection helps – and for reapplying in the middle of the day.
- Consider your skin type. Mineral powder sunscreens can help control oiliness and shine, but can accentuate fine lines or dryness. If you have dry or ageing skin, use creamier or liquid formulas that can add dewiness and moisture. Spray sunscreens are best for all skin types, since the fine mist won’t clog your pores or dry out your skin.
- Don’t scrimp on sun protection. Sun damage is the number one cause of premature ageing. The UV rays can damage collagen, cause pigmentation and destroy your moisture barrier. All the money you spend on your skincare will be wasted if you don’t protect your skin from the sun! Invest in a good cream sunscreen and a sunscreen you can use over makeup. Apply often and generously. Do this every day, and start today! It is never too early or too late to include sun protection into your skincare routine.
- Be vigilant even if you’re indoors. UVA rays can penetrate windows, so you still get sun exposure if you’re in the home or office the whole day. If you prefer to go bare-faced at home, at least use a sun protection spray to deflect UV rays.