- What is cellulite?
- What causes cellulite?
- Who can get cellulite?
- Why does cellulite form more frequently on women than men?
- Is cellulite only found on overweight individuals?
- Does the formation of cellulite have anything to do with age?
- What are some cellulite myths?
- What are some ways to prevent cellulite?
- Where can I get an aesthetic cellulite treatment in Singapore?
What is cellulite?
Cellulite is a common and harmless skin condition where bumpy lines form on your skin. The main areas it forms are the thighs, buttocks, hips and abdomen. Also, cellulite is seen more in women compared to men.
What causes cellulite?
Cellulite involves fibrous connective cords, skin and fat. As these fat cells accumulate between your skin and the underlying muscle, they push up against your skin while being pulled down by the connective cords that tether the skin to the muscle, at the same time. This then results in dimpling or an uneven skin surface.
Some of the risk factors of developing cellulites include:
- Inactive lifestyle
Who can get cellulite?
Cellulite happens in 90% of women and in 10% of men. Some of the factors that affect the formation of cellulite are the ones mentioned above, plus your age and your weight.
Why does cellulite form more frequently on women than men?
As for why women tend to have more cellulite compared to men, there are a few factors.
- Different fat structure. The fat tissue that is found in a women’s body is located in chamber-like structures compared to men who have a network of connective fat tissue. These structures then expand the fat outwards towards the skin, while the connective fat tissue networks lead to lesser protrusions of fat outwards. Also, women have thinner skin layers in their buttocks and thighs, compared to men.
- Hormonal differences. The hormonal differences between a man and a woman affect fat production in an individual. Women have more estrogen, and that encourages the building of fat. On the other hand, men have more testosterone than encourages fat breakdown.
- Adrenergic receptors. There are two kinds of these receptors which are the alpha and the beta receptors. The alpha-receptors lead to fat production, while the beta receptors lead to fat loss. Also, women are said to have 9 alpha receptors for every 1 beta receptor, while men have 1 beta receptor for every 1 alpha receptor. Hence, why women tend to have more cellulite compared to men.
Is cellulite only found on overweight individuals?
Nope! If cellulite is a matter of the amount of fat, then the more fat you have, the more cellulite you will have. It does not matter whether or not you are skinny or overweight, because everyone of all shapes and sizes can form cellulite.
This is due to the fact that your fat might not have pushed outward enough to form cellulite, your skin can be pushed downward by cords that connect your skin to the muscle. However, while one factor might not be enough, the combine skin tightness and fat movement can lead to cellulites.
Does the formation of cellulite have anything to do with age?
In actual fact, cellulite becomes more obvious with age. This is due to the fact that your skin ages because of your skin loses elasticity, tightening it. This tightened skin, as mentioned above, pushes downward against the layer of fat in your body and leads to cellulites.
What are some cellulite myths?
A very common misconception of cellulite are that it reflects poor diet and the lack of exercise, but it is not true. It is the deeper structures that cause the dimpled effect, which is not life threatening at all but it can be displeasing to the eye.
The first symptoms will be a small series of bumpy or dimple skin on a specific area, that occurs mostly around your upper thighs and buttocks. Those are the main problem areas for many women who have a genetic predisposition to cellulite.
What are some ways to prevent cellulite?
- Body brushing. This is when you use a stiff and dry hairbrush to exfoliate your skin. Not only does it exfoliate your skin, but it also increases the blood flow and stimulate your lymphatic system, which will then reduce your cellulite.
- Increase your activity. Walk more and more cardio exercises. Even though exercise is not the main way to lose fat, it still does improve your body’s metabolism and provide multiple benefits.
- Use coffee! Rubbing coffee on your skin can help you dilate your blood vessels whilst reducing its appearance, on a temporary basis.
- Watch your diet! Ensure that you drink plenty of water and consume a sufficient amount of protein every day.
Where can I get an aesthetic cellulite treatment in Singapore?
David Loh Surgery
David Loh Surgery is an aesthetic clinic in Singapore that was founded by Dr David Loh in 2002 and Dr Phoon Yi Shan, joining in 2013. As their guiding philosophy, the practice only provides treatments that have undergone rigorous clinical trials and have been proven to not only be safe but also have consistent and effective results.
Also, Dr David Loh is the President of the Society of Aesthetic Medicine. Both of these doctors are active in teaching and training. Not only that, but they have also published medical journals on filler injection techniques and the management of complications. Additionally, one of these publications had received an award from the Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (PRS Global Open) in the year 2019. A year prior to that, they published an instructional piece in the Prime International Journal of Aesthetic and Anti-ageing Medicine on their filler injection techniques.
Getting back to the cellulite treatment at David Loh Surgery, their treatment goes way beyond mechanical massages. At David Loh Surgery, they provide solutions for all aspects of cellulite from the excess localised fat to the skin laxity and also the fibrous tethers that cause dimpling.
In some instances, they may combine procedures like Liposuction, the Radiesse Lift and Cellulite Submission to treat all the underlying causes of cellulite. What’s more is that they also provide mechanical massages, shockwave, as well as radiofrequency treatments as maintenance treatments.
- 501 Orchard Road, #05-16 Wheelock Place, Singapore 238880
Contact number: +65 6733 5300
- 10 Sinaran Drive #08-35, Novena Medical Center, Singapore 307506
Contact number: +65 6733 9114
Book your appointment today at David Loh Surgery to get rid of your cellulite, by clicking here!
The Cellulite Eliminator procedure at Mendis Aesthetics is a non-invasive and an FDA-approved procedure that effectively gets rid of cellulite and stretch marks. The procedure produces vibrating waves that stimulate your metabolism whilst improving your lymph flow and it also accelerates the elimination of waste products along with toxins.
Not only that, but the Cellulite Eliminator wellness massage also has a relaxing effect and a positive impact on your muscle tone regulation. Additionally, the vibration therapy from the Cellulite Eliminator treatment also proves to be effective as it contributes to a longer-lasting treatment result.
What’s more, is that this treatment is completely safe, it does not have any side effects and the session usually lasts for about 35 to 45 minutes. You will also be able to see visible results in just 4 weeks after your last treatment.
Location: 333A Orchard Road, Mandarin Gallery, #04-17, Singapore 238897
Contact number: +65 6235 1728
View this post on Instagram
Hard work doesn’t always pay off when it comes to cellulite removal. While a good diet and regular exercise may help you shed unwanted pounds, there is little you can do about “orange peel skin” and those pesky stretch marks! Get professional help with Privé’s Cellulite Smoothie treatment – a shockwave therapy that penetrates deep into the dermis to smooth and tone up your skin! Just 2 more weeks to experience the wonders of this treatment at $68 (U.P $650), don’t miss!
Prive Aesthetics using the Cellulite Smoothie treatment that is completely safe. This procedure is non-surgical and it is very well known for its fast effectiveness and its long-lasting results. Also, this cellulite treatment uses a high-energy radial shockwave that compromises of 2 components, which is a positive pressure pulse and a comparatively smaller tensile wave component.
Not only that, but visible results from the procedure can also be seen after only a few treatments. You will find your skin feeling much smoother, firmer and it would look much healthier. Additionally, the cellulite and stretch marks on your skin will be visibly reduced and eliminated.
Location: #02-27, NEX, 23 Serangoon Central, Singapore 556083
Contact number: +65 965 65 380
View this post on Instagram
With our unique combination of body sculpting technologies, knock out cellulite effectively! At EstheClinic, we combine our radiofrequency treatment with vacuum suction technology for fast and effective cellulite removal and skin-firming results. #EstheClinic #singapore #sgbeauty #cellulite #bodyshaping #looseinches #bikiniready #bodyconfidence #fatremoval #beautyaddict #medispa #medicalaesthetics #medicalgrade #awardedtreatment #aesthteticclinic #aesthetics #cleanbeauty #luxurylifes #Lovesskin #medicalaesthetic #skinfirst #weightloss #anticellulite #postpartum #bodiwerk #skincare #beautycare #beautysecret #feelbetter #postpregnancy
Get rid of our cellulite with the Cellulite Buster treatment from EstheClinic! This treatment is done using a combination of body sculpting technologies and radiofrequency treatments with vacuum suction technology. This is for faster and much effective cellulite removal along with skin-firming results.
Why we recommend this treatment is because you will feel no pain and will have to go through no surgery at all as it is a pain-free and a non-invasive treatment. Also, after the Cellulite Buster treatment, you will not be experiencing any downtime. Hence, you will be able to carry on with your daily routine as per usual.
Additionally, you get to see instant and visible results after your treatment as it helps improve the appearance and the condition of your skin instantly by tightening your skin, reducing the appearance of cellulite and contouring your body.
- 72 Tras Street, Singapore 079011
Contact number: + 65 6221 4797
- 424 Joo Chiat Road, Singapore 427643
Contact number: + 65 6344 0121
- 3 Lorong Siput, Holland Piazza #02-02, Singapore 277725
Contact number: +65 6254 9913