Do you know your skin quality starts to deteriorate in your twenties? You’re already producing less collagen and elastin. Your moisture barrier is getting weaker. Sun exposure, pollution and changes in temperature (like going in and out of airconditioned rooms) damage your skin – and your skin won’t bounce back as quickly as it used to. “Skin-repair replacement mechanisms begin to slow by age 20,” says celebrity dermatologist Harold Lancer, MD.
That’s why Dr. Lancer and other dermatologists say you should start an anti-ageing regimen by the time you’re 25. “You may not need heavy anti-wrinkle creams yet, but consciously select the best anti-ageing products that can strengthen and protect your skin.” Here’s what you need to do.
- A Nourishing Cleanser
- A Hydrating Toner
- A Multi-Purpose Serum
- A Repairing and Moisturising Cream
A Nourishing Cleanser
“Cleanse your face like you’d wash a newborn baby – super gently!” says Kylie Jenner’s dermatologist Christie Kidd. Avoid harsh cleansers that dry out or irritate the skin. “Look for ingredients that dissolve dirt, oil and makeup without stripping moisture. Your skin should feel fresh, not scrubbed raw.”
Beauty Insider recommends: Clair Skin Solutions Amino Acid Facial Cleanser
This award-winning cleanser refreshes and restores your skin. Your face will definitely feel clean, but it also feels supple and soft.
Here’s what you find in each bottle:
- Amino acids. Strengthens your skin cells and helps it retain moisture. Remember what we said about moisture barrier? While harsh cleansers destroy it, Clair Skin Solutions actually heals it.
- Aloe. One of the best natural ingredients for healing and soothing the skin. So aside from washing off the dirt and dust, this cleanser also helps prevent any irritation from being exposed to pollution the whole day.
- Licorice extract. Licorice is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. It also contains a compound called licochalcone that can actually help control oil production, and another compound called glabidrin that can fight pigmentation.
- Hibiscus extract. Studies show that his super anti-oxidant also prevents elastin from breaking down. It keeps your skin firm and supple.
A Hydrating Toner
Lancer says that most women over-exfoliate. “I see clients who use cleansers with exfoliating acids with their facial brushes, and then use scrubs and clay masks too. It’s too much of a good thing. All that cleansing dries out and irritates your skin.”
Use a gentle cleanser, and then remove the last traces of dirt and makeup with a hydrating and soothing toner.
Toners are actually the secret to the dewy, radiant skin of your favourite KPop and Kdrama stara. “Hydration is the foundation of a great K-beauty routine, and astringent toners that clarify the skin aren’t as popular in Korea,” Sarah Lee, the co-founder of Glow Recipe. “The idea is to thoroughly cleanse and clarify via your double cleanse, then use a toner as the first leave-on step that hydrates and treats.”
Beauty Insider recommends: DixmondSG Hydra Toner
Aside from deep-cleaning your pores, it has Portulaca Oleracea Extract to protect your skin from ageing and sun damage. It also uses coconut-derived ingredients that hydrate and soothe your skin.
It’s also one of the few toners that are suitable for all skin types. It feels light and fresh on oily skin, and gives additional hydration for dry skin. And for that reason, it’s also the best toners for combination skin!
You can apply DixmondSG Hydra Toner with a cotton pad, or use one of the best anti-ageing Kbeauty hacks: gently pat in 5 to 7 layers of toner into your face. Your skin will immediately look more supple and glowy! It’s like a mega-boost of moisture – the closest thing you can get to having a professional hydrating facial at home.
A Multi-Purpose Serum
If your moisture barrier is weak, your skin becomes dry and more prone to irritation. Eventually, this affects your complexion (your skin looks dull and uneven) and skin texture (your skin feels rough or sensitive).
Beauty Insider recommends: So’Senz Serum Lumiere
Serum Lumiere stops this cycle with a potent mix of plant and marine extracts that strengthen your moisture barrier while brightening and hydrating your skin. Antioxidants also neutralize free radicals that can damage your skin cells and collagen. It’s one of the best anti-ageing serums to start using in your 20s!
Here are some of its anti-ageing ingredients:
- Juvenessence® (Algae Extract). Made from a special brown algae, it fights free radical damage and supports the skin barrier function. Your skin becomes more hydrated, and over time, appears smoother and softer.
- Sytenol® A (Bakuchiol). It also hydrates and improves your skin barrier, plus it promotes collagen and elastin and controls your oil production. Bakuchiol has been called “the natural, gentler alternative to Retinol”.
- Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate. This is a special form of vitamin C that is soluble in fat, so it’s better absorbed by the skin – and more effective! It brightens your skin and helps collagen production.
- Squalane. This is a powerful moisturizer that immediately makes your skin feel softer and smoother.
- Acetyl Glucosamine. Several studies show that this is one of the most effective ingredients for fading dark spots.
- Caffeine. Aside from being a powerful antioxidant, it can boost blood circulation for a natural glow!
- Allantoin. This soothes irritation and redness caused by overexposure to the sun or pollution.
- Centella asiatica (Gotu Kola) Extract. This plant extract is packed with antioxidants and can also calm the skin.
- Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E). It neutralizes free radicals and helps your skin heal.
A Repairing and Moisturising Cream
Moisturiser doesn’t just moisturise. “The best anti-ageing moisturisers should have different kinds of antioxidants that revive your skin in different ways. It should also be able to heal your skin so it can retain moisture better. You’re not just after temporary softness but an improvement in your skin quality,” says Dr. Annie Chiu.
Beauty Insider recommends: Nicely Sweet Sensitive Repair Cream
You’ll find both those qualities in Nicely Sweet Sensitive Repair Cream. It has several plant extracts that restore your skin – in a gentle, natural and effective way!
One of the key ingredients is calendula or marigold extract. This antioxidant seems tailor-made for all the skincare problems we experience in our 20s. It can boost collagen production. It heals the skin barrier and soothes redness and irritation. It also has natural anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties, so it can even help prevent adult acne. Aside from this, it penetrates deep into the skin and hydrates it from within.
Nicely Sweet Sensitive Repair Cream also contains chamomile extract. It’s also anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial — and it’s hypoallergenic too! It can soothe skin that’s already sensitive, and strengthen your skin cells to prevent further irritation.
While anyone can use Nicely Sweet Sensitive Repair Cream, we particularly recommend it for people who have sensitive skin or whose skin has become sensitive because of sun exposure, allergies or acne treatments. It doesn’t just moisturize, but also nourishes and heals.